For this week’s Friday Five with Courtney, Mar & Cynthia, I decided to write out my goals for the month of October. I find it easier to stick with goals if I do it month by month instead of setting entire year goals. So here it is:
1. Cook More, Eat Out Less: It’s really hard for me to stick to this one, but I’m going to try again! Mainly the reason it’s hard for me is because I work a lot so I typically don’t have much time to cook. And yes, people have said “Why don’t you meal prep on weekends?” Two reasons: 1. Because most weekends I’m out of town and don’t have time by the time I get home to spend 3 hours cooking for the week; and 2. Because I really don’t want to spend my only day off cooking all day. Yes, I know that can be construed as lazy, but I’m just not someone who loves to cook so its really hard for me to convince myself to spend half my day doing it. I also really don’t enjoy leftovers that much; if I do eat them I can pretty much do it the day after I cook the original meal and that’s it. Today I made a big pot of Jambalaya with sausage and I also have some Greek chicken in the crock pot. So we will see how long I can make those meals last!
2. Make Cross Training a Bigger Priority: This is another area that I’ve been slacking off in. For some reason, I can’t seem to make two workouts a part of my schedule. If I’m in running mode, I want to run all the time, but I lack other supplemental workouts. If I’m in boot camp mode, I will go to 3 or 4 classes a week, but I don’t run that much. I need to work on finding a balance and doing both!
3. Keep a Training Log: I’m thinking this might help me with the #2 goal as well- if I log my workouts every week I will be able to see what has changed and what’s working/not working. Keeping a training log also helps me to understand if I need to do something differently with my running; it allowed me to realize when a certain pair of shoes were no longer working for me earlier this year. I use the Believe Training Journal by Lauren Fleshman, and I’ve really been loving it so far!
4. Drink/Eat More Protein: This is a struggle area for me. I typically eat foods that are high in carbs (hello, bread and pasta!) but have a low protein diet. I know protein helps build muscle and that’s part of my goal- to lose fat and build muscle. So I’m making more of an effort to keep track of my food via the My Fitness Pal app so I can check out my macros and find what I need to eat more of/less of.
5. Stick to My Running Schedule: When one thing goes wrong, it’s so easy for me to get off track with my running! I need to make a concentrated effort on sticking with my running schedule for my Gasparilla training plan so I can hit the goals I’ve set for myself in those races.
Do you set monthly or yearly goals? What are some goals you have for this coming month?