For the Friday Five linkup with Courtney, Mar & Cynthia this week the theme is favorites. This comes just in time, as I have a dilemma and I’m hoping you can help me solve it. I have major race indecision.
I know it’s completely early to be thinking so much about spring 2017 race season, but we all know the sooner you sign up the better the price you get on race registrations. I’m already signed up for Gasparilla Distance Classic in Tampa- the challenge, which is a 15k, 5k and 1/2 marathon back to back (well I get like 16 hours between the 5k and the half). That was my big goal race for the spring and then I planned on adding different races around that schedule. I created a calendar of potential races that I was interested in- among them marathons (yes I’ve been thinking of going the FULL distance), Ragnar Relay (but I currently can’t find anyone who wants to do one with me), multiple Tough Mudders and half marathons. The problem is I can’t seem to decide which ones I want to sign up for! Some of my favorites I’ve been considering:
Tough Mudder’s newest race addition, Toughest. I have to admit I’m morbidly curious to see how far I can push my body…and Toughest provides just the opportunity to do so. I can’t say I think I’m really ready to go the full 24 hour World’s Toughest Mudder yet. Toughest is the ‘in between’ version for those of us who want more of a challenge, but don’t want to go Full Monte yet. It’s an overnight, 8 hour endurance race with all the obstacles we’ve all come to know and love (and probably some new sadistic ones) from one of my favorite obstacle series.
- Pros: It’s a mud run, I love the series, and this is a totally new challenge that will push me past the limits I’ve set for myself
- Cons: Don’t know the dates or locations yet. Hard to plan if I don’t know the locations.
- Pros: I’m familiar with the race series, it’s a good event, a new city I haven’t run in, good pricing.
- Cons: Would probably mean postponing the full I had thought about doing due to timing/schedule conflict. Not sure how I feel about this yet.
- Pros: plenty of options and dates to choose from, well known event, plenty of entertainment, good for first time marathoners.
- Cons: none in Florida so I have to travel (although considering I don’t want to run my first marathon in this humid state, that might be a good thing); marathon dates conflict with some other events or training schedule plans I have.
Ragnar Relay. This one has been on my bucket list of races since I first heard of it in 2014. I’m leaning toward the trail one because you don’t have to rent vans or worry about hotels- it’s all about camping and running, which sounds awesome! I just need to find people to do it with!
- Pros: Awesome experience, plenty of options for different races
- Cons: Need a team of 8 and so far no one I’ve asked is interested 🙁
Anything Disney. Here’s a toss up; I hadn’t planned on doing any more Disney races next year, but I always get FOMO (fear of missing out) and end up doing something last minute. And I could always work at the expo and get a race that way too. California looks mighty tempting- especially when my job will pay for travel expenses if I go out there to work an expo!
- Pros: Most travel expenses paid for by my job, possibility to get my Coast to Coast
- Cons: Disney is expensive (if I pay for it), requires a full week of 10+ hour days work, travel accommodations not the best.
Mainly its the top 4 that have me all confused…Disney could probably wait until 2018. But I keep going back and forth about the other four! I can’t figure out what I want to do more.
Is anyone else this indecisive about scheduling races? Am I the only one who wishes race season would last a heck of a lot longer?